Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A friend suggested I post my musings after a 10 day hospital stay following a horse wreck. Here are a few things I learned after being in the hospital.
Things I have learned while being in the hospital

A knock on the door is not a request to enter; it is a warning

“For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction”, This rule is even more true with broken ribs

No matter how perfectly arranged you have things around your bed the urinal is just out of reach the minute the nurse leaves the room

Calling someone in the hospital a “Patient” is a misnomer. Impatient might be more accurate. In fact I don’t remember meeting a “Patient” during my 10 day stay. If I ever was patient in the past I was able to overcome the distinction while in the hospital

Hospitals are female dominated societies

Modesty is not a high value to medical folks

Hospitals are highly organized but not necessarily around the sick and injured

There is almost no time to rest in a hospital environment

Men and women speak a different language

No matter how often you ask, “Is there anything I can do,” there usually isn’t, and if there was something that needs to be done you probably could not do it

When a Doctor asks you how you are doing he is not being social

Hospital food really looks good

People confined to hospital rooms are very entertaining

No comments:

Post a Comment